Abdominal massage is a form of gentle, harmless massage therapy that has the effect of helping to recover and relax when feeling pain in the abdomen, and abdominal massage is used to get rid of some digestive problems , most notably constipation and bloating .
A person can massage the abdomen for himself, or he may resort to a professional therapist to get massages . The effects of a belly massage can only be used after 5 to 10 minutes of massage every day.
Be sure to consult your doctor before performing an abdominal massage if you are pregnant or have a health problem .
The benefits of abdominal massage
Abdominal massage carries many benefits from the physical, psychological and social aspects for many people, including:
- Get rid of constipation
Massage helps relax the abdominal muscles, which in turn helps stimulate the digestive process and thus relieve constipation. There are some studies conducted on a group of people to find out the effect of abdominal massage on getting rid of constipation, and it was found that abdominal massage relieves symptoms of constipation , improves bowel movement, and reduces the time between each bowel movement.
- Improvement of digestive system functions
Getting a 15-minute abdominal massage twice daily for 3 days helps improve symptoms of digestive problems that many people suffer from.
- Reducing puffiness
Abdominal massage helps to treat the symptoms caused by the formation of excess fluid in the abdominal cavity, and having a 15-minute massage twice daily over a period of 3 days greatly relieves flatulence .
- Relieve menstrual pain
Abdominal massage contributes to relieving menstrual pain and cramps resulting from it. Getting an abdominal massage for 5 minutes a day for 6 days before the date of your period helps greatly to avoid exposure to pain and cramps.
- Other benefits of abdominal massage
- Helping to get rid of extra weight .
- Improve the ability to relax.
- Strengthen the abdominal muscles .
- Get rid of stress and physical and psychological pressure.
- Relieving muscle spasms in the abdominal area ( abdominal cramps ).
- Increase blood flow to the abdominal area.
- It is very beneficial for abdominal organ functions.
Is massaging the abdomen safe?
In general, abdominal massage is safe when performed correctly on most people, especially if it is performed in a gentle and safe manner, and some important tips regarding the process of abdominal massage:
- Do not undergo an abdominal massage if you have recently had abdominal surgery.
- Consult your doctor before performing an abdominal massage if you are pregnant.
- Talk to a doctor before getting an abdominal massage if you have any health problem.
- It is advisable not to eat fatty foods or contain a large amount of spices a few hours before the procedure of the abdominal massage, and after the massage as well.
- Make sure to drink plenty of water after performing the abdominal massage.
What is the correct way to do abdominal massage?
If you want to massage your abdomen yourself, you must follow the following steps:
- Lay straight on your back, keeping your stomach uncovered.
- Interlock your hands, place them on the lower abdomen, and hold them in place while you focus on your breath.
- Warm your hands by rubbing them together for 30 seconds.
- You can use any type of oil to aid the massage, such as olive oil .
- Use the palm of your hand to massage the entire abdomen in a circular motion in a clockwise direction several times.
- Massage the midline of the abdomen, starting at the bottom of the bones of the rib cage and ending with the pubic bone .
- Massage with another 3 lines a short distance apart to the left, and do the same again to the right.
- Press your fingers firmly toward the navel .
- Continue the massage with gentle pressure and a circular motion starting at the navel, and gradually expanding to the entire abdomen, clockwise .
- You can spend more time in the areas that need the most attention.
- Continue doing the previous movements for no more than 20 minutes .
If you do not feel comfortable doing an abdominal massage on your own, you can seek help from a massage therapist