In this article, we will review the real benefits of massage in cases of irritable bowel syndrome in general with some important advice, and we will also review the benefits and how to massage the colon with olive oil.
What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
It is a common disorder that causes an abnormal state of intestinal cramps known as abdominal pain, bloating, mucus in stool, and irregular bowel habits with alternating diarrhea and constipation.Symptoms tend to be chronic and may diminish over the years.
Although colon disorder can cause chronic recurrent discomfort, it does not lead to any serious problems in the rest of the organs, and the diagnostic procedure usually includes the exclusion of other diseases, then treatment is directed to relieve symptoms and includes changes in diet (eating high fiber and avoiding caffeine Dairy products and sweeteners), exercise, relaxation techniques, and medications.
Alternative names include irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), spastic colitis, and mucous colitis .
Causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
The exact cause of IBS is unknown, but here are some factors that are thought to play a role:
- Muscle cramps in the intestine: The walls of the intestine consist of muscle layers that contract as they move food through the digestive system. The intestine can increase the strength of contractions or last longer than usual due to gas, bloating and diarrhea, and intestinal cramps can slow the passage of food and lead to Hard, dry stools.
- Nervous system: Problems with the nerves in the digestive system may cause you to feel more uncomfortable than usual when your stomach is filled with gas or stool, and weak signals can cause a failure of coordination between the brain and intestine to react, so the body responds excessively to the changes that usually occur in The digestive process, which leads to pain, diarrhea or constipation.
- Inflammation in the gut: Some people with IBS have an increased number of immune system cells in their gut, and the immune system response is linked to pain and diarrhea.
- Severe infection: Irritable bowel syndrome can develop after a severe episode of diarrhea (gastroenteritis) caused by bacteria or viruses, and IBS may also result from an excess of bacteria in the intestine (bacterial overgrowth).
- Changes in bacteria in the gut (microflora): Microflora are the “good” bacteria in the gut that play a major role in health, and research suggests that the microflora in people with IBS may differ from the bacteria in healthy people.
Benefits of irritable bowel massage
- For the majority of sufferers, IBS symptoms can be controlled to a large extent through dietary adjustments and stress management.
- For massage therapists, helping clients de-stress usually has a great effect on reducing unwanted gastrointestinal symptoms, for this reason, traditional Swedish relaxation-based massage reduces the severity of IBS in many people.
“You should consult your doctor to make sure that your condition does not interfere with the massage.”
Additional tips to improve gut health
- Deep breathing: Deep breathing can be taught during a massage session and should be practiced by the patient routinely. Instead of just chest breathing, the abdominal breathing allows the abdomen to fully expand and contract, helping to relax the local muscles that promote normal bowel activity.
- Probiotics : Found in yogurt and supplements, probiotics are the good bacteria that occupy the gut, and for many sufferers, supplementing with probiotics improves the bacterial balance of the gut, which ultimately relieves symptoms.
- Heat and warming up the massage area: Because heat causes stretching and thus relaxes the muscles, placing a hot pack on the cramped bowel often provides immediate pain relief, in addition, the heat’s ability to induce relaxation makes it a wise choice to prevent the stress buildup that usually leads to an IBS attack . In addition to starting a massage session with a hot pack on the lower abdomen, it is preferable to use one at home.
Because stress exacerbates IBS, worsens its deterioration and increases pain, receiving regular relaxation-based massages usually reduces the frequency and severity of IBS symptoms, and by instructing people with IBS to practice a regular routine of deep breathing, providing their intestines with good bacteria and applying heat. On the lower abdomen, we can help control individuals’ intestinal health.
Benefits of colon massage with olive oil
The benefits of fat stomach with olive oil for colon are great and can be summarized as follows:
- Relieves stress
Our lives are full of stress and tension, whether in the workplace or at home, and we are loaded with worries of pending plans, deadlines, unpaid bills and family obligations, all of these things often push us to the brink of collapse as it affects our members and causes an increase in stress in our bodies. Like IBS syndrome, for example, so what our body shouts at is just its way of asking for relaxation, rest and relaxation of the mind in a healthy way.
This can be done by massaging the body with olive oil, which helps calm the nerves, increases blood circulation throughout the body, improves energy levels and nourishes the body in general, and an invigorating olive oil body massage works as well as tai chi and relaxation techniques.
- Relieves pain and inflammation
This is one of the best benefits of olive oil for the body. Excessive stress, sitting in front of the computer for a long time or too much exercise can often lead to muscle fatigue and arthritis, although our instinct is to access over-the-counter pain relievers. In fact, what it provides is only a temporary relief while what our body needs is an intense and nourishing body massage.
Massaging the body with slightly warm extra virgin olive oil helps relieve muscle pain, cramps, sprains, and inflamed joints, in addition to that, it also helps relieve pain caused by arthritis, gout, and stomach and colon cramps.
How to massage the colon with olive oil
Now that you know the amazing benefits of olive oil, it is time to know the following tips through which you can give and receive a healthy and nourishing olive oil massage:
- Create an atmosphere by dim the lights, put on some soothing music and light a scented candle, create a cozy and slightly warm atmosphere so that the person receiving the massage feels comfortable all the time.
- The person receiving the massage should lie on a hard surface. Remember to check if the person you are massaging is experiencing any tensions, pains, or pressure-sensitive areas.
- Keep clean towels on hand.
- Prepare massage oil by heating it and returning it to a temperature that the body can tolerate. Mix 8 ounces of extra virgin olive oil with 1/4 ounce of peppermint or rosemary oil for a refreshing, beautiful scent.
- Start by massaging the chest and stomach area with soft movements, gently massage the face, forehead and cheeks with your fingers, make sure that the oil does not enter the eye. Then, gently massage the upper part of the scalp by applying gentle pressure with your thumb, it will help a lot in entering a phase of comfort and relaxation .
- Do not rush to massage, work slowly and gently on every part of the body by giving long, slow and smooth strokes until it turns into a relaxing and luxurious experience.
- End the session by wiping the excess oil with a clean towel, it is best to finish with a relaxing olive oil body massage with a hot bath.