Known as massage ( in English: Free parking Massage) , or what is also called massage or massage ( in English: Massage Therapy) treatment , as do rubbing or stirring muscular structure and soft tissues in the human body , including muscle, connective tissue, tendons, and ligaments. Massage therapy is a type of physical therapy, or what is known as complementary or alternative therapy .
About body massage
- Hand massage has been used for thousands of years throughout the world as a method of treating both mental and physical body ailments. The history of the use of massage goes back more than 3000 years in ancient China, and today massage is considered one of the most famous long-standing healing arts.
- Most of the influential cultures of the world have been characterized by the use of special healing methods and techniques that have been passed on from generation to generation, and these cultures include the ancient Greeks, Hindus, Persians, Egyptians, Swedes, Indians, Japanese and Chinese, whose teachings regarding massage therapy are still transmitted today.
- Massage has been used throughout history to speed up recovery time, restore energy , relieve stress , and reduce body pain .
- Today scientific studies show that massage therapy improves the functions of the lymphatic immune system , also helps regulate hormones , and can prevent many diseases and disorders.
- According to the American Massage Therapy Association data, approximately 25 percent of American adults received a massage therapy service at least once during the year 2016, and they had a wide range of reasons for doing so. Many methods of body massage hope to cure specific symptoms or injuries, to help with some health conditions, and to improve the health of the body in general.
- Therapeutic massage includes pressure, friction, kneading, rubbing, and manipulation of muscles and soft tissues by hands, fingers, and sometimes even forearms, elbows, and feet, or by the use of artificial means such as a massager that contains electric vibration generators, water pressure, needles, or stones. And warm blankets.
- The masseur can also use a massage oil that contains some types of diluted essential oils .
- Some body massage techniques are based on pressing and rubbing over clothing, and others require direct contact with the skin.
- The body massage can be general, as it covers the entire body, or mechanical, as it is specific to a specific area of the body.
What are the types of body massages?
There are many types of massages, which include:
- Swedish massage is the most popular type of massage and the most popular type of massage around the world, which is based on stroking the body with long, gentle movements and light stroking.
- It stimulates blood circulation, relaxes muscles, and relieves tension.
- Swedish massage is usually practiced in spas and physical health centers , during which the person is naked and is covered with a light cover.
- Swedish massage is suitable for people who experience body massage for the first time, and for those who suffer from extreme stress , it helps to completely relax.
- It usually lasts 60 to 90 minutes.
- What is the method of Swedish massage?
The use of Swedish massage includes a variety of alternating movements , all of which are directed towards the heart , such as:
- Effleurage: gentle massaging of the body with smooth, gliding movements aimed at relaxing the soft tissues.
- Petrissage: It is a mixture of stroking, kneading and applying pressure to the body.
- Friction: Friction aims to increase blood flow in the body and remove scar cells by rubbing the body in deep circular motions so that the tissues rub against each other.
- Tapotement : This involves intermittent flicks that resemble a plump using the fingers and the tips of the hands.
- Deep tissue massage: It focuses on specific areas of the body where pain is most concentrated, such as back sprains and muscle injuries. In this type of massage, a therapist uses slow, deep movements that allow access to the inner layers of muscles and ligaments.
Deep tissue massage
- Deep tissue massage is used to treat chronic muscle pain and problems, and to reduce inflammation-related disorders such as arthritis .
- The pressure in a deep tissue massage is stronger than in a Swedish massage.
- The person in it is naked or wearing light clothes.
- It lasts from 60 to 90 minutes.
- Sports Massage is similar to Swedish massage and is tailored to the needs of athletes before, during and after sports matches.
- The athlete may do it himself on a daily basis or it may be implemented to prepare and prepare the athletes shortly before they undertake important races and sporting challenges .
- Sports massage is commonly used to warm the bodies of athletes, improve blood flow to their muscles, enhance flexibility , and help prevent or treat injuries.
- Sports massage can be performed as a whole body or it may focus on specific parts of the body.
- The methods of implementing sports massage differ according to the tasks that the athlete must perform, the type of sport, the nature of the effort exerted, and others.
- In Prenatal Massage, gentle pressure is used similar to that used in Swedish massage, in which the massager focuses on specific areas of the body such as the lower back, hips and legs.
- Prenatal massage is considered safe for both the mother and the fetus , as a pregnant woman can undergo massage at any time during pregnancy, but sometimes she may not be allowed to undergo it during the first trimester to avoid the risk of miscarriage.
- A prenatal massage is usually performed to help reduce pregnancy complications such as lower back pain and leg pain, as well as reduce tension and relieve muscle spasms.
- During it, the woman is lying on a table specially designed for pregnant women with an opening for the abdomen, and the woman can take off her clothes completely or remain wearing it according to her comfort level.
- The massage lasts from 45 to 60 minutes.
- Thai massage has been practiced in Thailand for over 2,500 years and is often included in sacred ceremonies.
- It is suitable for those who want the most effective massage in easing muscle pain, increasing flexibility and energy levels.
- In which the specialist massages the entire body using a series of movements in the palms of his hands and fingers, which include a mixture of stroking pressure points, moving joints, and compressing muscles. It also depends on kneading according to specific energy lines that stimulate the muscles and tissues of the body.
- It is carried out on a mat placed on the floor rather than on a table, and the person in it is wearing loose-fitting clothes and lying in different positions.
- It lasts from 60 to 90 minutes.
Soft tissue massage
- Considered massage soft tissue ( in English: Soft Tissue Massage) common in Europe.
- It is used to help athletes and runners, as it gently relaxes muscles and helps them to stretch in a specific direction.
- It is a Shiatsu massage ( in English: Shiatsu Massage) types of massage Japanese.
- During this time, the massage therapist uses the palms of his hands and fingers. He may also use certain rhythmic pressure on certain areas of the body called “pressure points” to smooth out the blockage, which prevents the flow of “kai” energy through the body .
- Shiatsu massage promotes relaxation and emotional and physical calm, helps relieve stress, anxiety and depression , relieves headaches, and reduces muscle tension.
- Includes the whole body, and the person is lightly dressed in it.
- It lasts from 60 to 90 minutes.
- Reflexology Massage is performed with the aim of reflexively influencing the functional state of the organs, systems and internal tissues of the body.
- It uses special methods to affect specific areas and points of the skin surface.
- It is suitable for people who want to relax , restore the body’s natural energy levels, and it is also a good choice for those who do not want their entire body to be touched.
- Is a strong pressure on different points of the feet, hands, and ears.
- The person can be in it.
- It usually lasts from 30 to 60 minutes.
- Performs massage periosteal ( in English: Periosteal Massage) through the sequential impact and cascading on certain points, leading to reflectivity changes to the periosteum.
- Automatic massage is performed by vibrating, pneumatic, negative pressure, ultrasound, ionic, or electric inductance devices.
Hot stone massage
- Hot Stone Massage is similar to Swedish massage, but is more expensive.
- The massage therapist uses warm stones instead of using his hands, as these stones help to calm and relax the body by transferring heat to deep areas in pressure points.
- Suitable for people who suffer from muscle pain, tension and want to relax, heat stones relieve pain and muscle tension, improve blood flow, and promote relaxation.
- The person should be naked, as the hot stones are placed in different areas on the whole body.
- The masseur may use some methods of Swedish massage such as gentle pressure , and he may sometimes use cold stones.
- The massage session usually lasts up to 90 minutes.
Massage with aromatic oils
- Aromatherapy massage is suitable for people who want to improve their mood and get rid of depression, as it reduces anxiety and tension, treats symptoms of depression, and relieves muscle pain.
- An aromatherapy massage therapist applies gentle pressure on the body by using massage oils that contain dilute essential oils that he chooses himself or asks the person whether he prefers a particular oil.
- The focus of the massage is on the back, shoulders, and head without the person wearing his clothes.
- It usually lasts 60 to 90 minutes.
- Chair Massage is suitable for people who want a quick massage.
- Focuses on the neck, shoulders, and back.
- This type of body massage relieves tension, promotes relaxation, and uses light to medium pressure .
- In it, the person is fully dressed and sits on the designated chair, returning the back completely back, allowing the chair to reach the back.
- It usually lasts 10 to 30 minutes.
- A person can perform a home massage by himself, with the guidance of his doctor, who informs him of the correct method and the places to be applied to massage.
- It is not always and in all life circumstances possible to use the services of a massage therapist, in this case it is possible to use self-massage.
- Self-massage is governed by several laws, the most important of which are:
- All movements of the massager’s hands should be carried out in the direction of the movement of the lymph flow to the nearest lymph nodes :
- The upper extremities should be massaged towards the underarm lymph nodes.
- The lower extremities should be massaged towards the lymph nodes in the leg and in the pubic area.
- The chest should be massaged towards the underarm lymph nodes.
- The neck should be massaged down into the lymph nodes in the collarbone area.
- The sacral and lumbar areas should be massaged into the lymph nodes located in the pubic region.
- Striving to completely and completely relax the muscles of the massaging areas of the body.
- Hands and body must be clean.
- A personal and self-massage can be done at any time and in any comfortable position, on the car seat, while walking, while showering.
- The massage Aesthetic ( in English: Cosmetic Massage) and an effective way to prevent disease and maintain physical fitness, is also used to maintain the skin and prevent changes that could be made to them, Kaltjaaid.
What are the benefits of a body massage?
Body massage helps in treating muscles and other tissues and improving their functions, as it promotes relaxation, removes fatigue and pain and stimulates blood circulation, and medical massage may also be used in the treatment of atherosclerosis, arthritis and polio, and abdominal massage can be performed to treat digestive problems such as constipation and gas A gum massage that may be used to relieve gum pain, and a prostate massage to improve urine flow or relieve symptoms of prostatitis.
Massage has many health, physical, and therapeutic benefits, as follows:
Health and physical benefits of massage
The massage helps:
- Boost the body’s immune system
As it is a well-known fact that people who suffer from high levels of stress are more susceptible to disease, and when stress coincides with sleep disorders and malnutrition, the negative impact may eventually reach the immune system in the body, as the body’s ability to protect itself is reduced significantly. Largely natural against infection and pathogens.
One of the benefits of massage is that body massage sessions can enhance the ability of the natural killer cells in the body and increase their level of activity. Moreover, adding massages to any exercise program helps to keep the body healthy, and maintains a strong and flexible immune system.
- Increase body flexibility, improve athletic performance and prevent injuries
Where massage may contribute to relaxing muscles, speeding up their activity and strength after intense exercise, increasing the rate of regeneration of muscle fibers, and treating some injuries such as sprains , stiffness, and torn ligaments .
- Improve blood circulation
One of the benefits of massage is that it increases blood flow and stimulates blood circulation. It is worth noting that improving blood circulation in the body provides the necessary blood supply that damaged and tense muscles need to enhance their recovery, and it also improves the body’s function in general.
- Helps to clear the mind, calm nerves and relax
The body may produce abnormal levels of the stress hormone cortisol , which contributes to weight gain, insomnia, digestive problems and headaches. It has been shown that massage therapy may reduce cortisol levels in the body, giving a feeling of relaxation, improved mood, reduced stress levels, and relief of stress.
Massage helps increase awareness of the connection of the mind and body together, and improves mental activity and alertness in general.
- Reducing muscle tension.
- Improvement of lymph fluid flow.
- Promote healthy deep breathing.
- Eliminate moisture and coldness from the body.
- Fat distribution to get rid of fatty cellulite surrounded by water.
- Weight loss and body lift.
- Maintaining the smoothness of the skin.
- Rid the body of dead cells.
- Open pores and remove toxins from the body.
- Stimulation or anesthesia of the nervous system.
The therapeutic benefits of massage include:
- Relief from back, shoulder and neck pain
Where a body massage can be beneficial for people suffering from acute and chronic lower back pain, especially when the massage is combined with special exercises .
- It treats arthritis pain
Where around 35 percent of all people who receive massage benefit from relieving pain associated with stiffness, injuries, and chronic health conditions, as it has been found that massage helps relieve muscle pain and cramping joints, in addition to helping it relieve symptoms associated with fibromyalgia (a disease characterized by widespread Chronic pain in multiple areas of the body with a severe and painful response to stress.)
- Helps reduce high blood pressure
Some studies have shown that adhering to a consistent massage program can reduce systolic pressure and diastolic pressure, and it can reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, and kidney failure, in addition to Many other health problems.
- Reduces depression, anxiety and fatigue
Massage therapy has been shown to help relieve feelings of stress, depression, fatigue, and sleep problems that accompany them, as regular massages over long periods of time can boost energy levels in the body and increase levels of physical and emotional health.
- Helps regulate hormones and sugar level
Where alternative therapies are now being used to treat hormonal and inflammatory causes leading to diabetes, including massages, nutritional supplements, acupuncture , hydrotherapy, and yoga therapy , they have been shown to be effective for reducing diabetes symptoms and associated risk factors and lowering the risk of infection. It damages the nerves, plus it has no noticeable side effects.
- It helps to quit smoking
Studies conducted by the University of Miami College of Medicine have shown that regular massages can be an effective treatment for adults trying to quit smoking, and it can also reduce the craving to smoke and the withdrawal symptoms to quit.
- Relief of symptoms associated with multiple sclerosis
Massage therapy can improve the quality of life for patients with multiple sclerosis , boosting mood, improving physical and social functioning, and relieving pain.
- Treating insomnia, as it promotes relaxation and aids sleep.
- Treatment of some cases of paralysis and sterility.
- Relieving headache and eyestrain.
- Promote tissue and wound healing.
What is the best way to massage the body?
Although there are many different styles of massage, it is imperative that everyone knows which one is right for him or what is really helping him. As the choice of body massage method depends on:
- The person’s need: If he wants him only to relax and de-stress, or if he wants him to treat a specific health condition or other special needs.
- The age of the person who will receive the massage.
Generally, a person can consult a massage therapist or doctor about the appropriate technique for them.
The basics and health conditions that must be followed when doing a body massage
Patient massage rules
- It is recommended before the massage to take a shower with lukewarm water, or wipe the body with a wet towel, and after that the body is completely dry.
- Then take off the clothes and reveal the part required for the massage only.
- Massages can be performed over cotton underwear or using moisturizing creams.
- In case of scratches or wounds on the skin layer, it must be sterilized well.
Massage rules for the masseur
The masseur should have special qualities that include:
- The psychological aspect , and includes attention, patience, stylistics, love of friendship, calm, and self-confidence.
- The technical aspect , and includes the ability to carry out any type of massage, choose the most effective methods, adhere to the sequence of primary and secondary massage movements, and take into account the similarity of the patient’s reactions to the implementation of the massage.
There are also several rules and instructions that a masseur must follow to perform a successful massage, the most important of which are:
- Establishing a relationship of trust between specialists and the patient.
- Performing therapist exercises and resting in a healthy sitting position.
- Knowledge of the anatomical structure, and the physiological effect of individual massage methods , and the therapist must be fluent in examination by hands, and have a high sense of touch.
- Adherence to the health conditions, which include: The nails must be short, and it is preferable to use a nourishing cream when the patient has oily skin.
- As in the case of dry skin should use a moisturizer cream, and wash your hands with lukewarm water temperature of 18-20 ° C, and in the case became the skin on the hands because of the continuous washing detectors then you must use soap glycerin.
- The clothes should be loose, and the hands must be free from any things that may cause scratching and wounding the patient’s skin (watch, bracelets, ring … etc), and the shoes must be with a low heel.
- Choosing the most comfortable position to carry out the massage , maintain a correct breathing rhythm, work with both hands, in addition to carrying out massage movements by the muscles that perform these movements only, without the other muscles.
- Provide complete calm in the massage room , and only with the patient’s desire can listen to music or open a conversation with him, taking into account his general condition, and not causing any negative emotions to him, with attention and attention to all his reactions towards all massage movements.
- The position of the patient should be either sitting, or lying on the back, on the stomach, on the side, or sometimes standing.
- During the implementation of the massage, all the patient’s muscles should be fully relaxed , and it is imperative that the massage therapist and the patient be in comfortable positions.
Special rules for the clinic or place for the implementation of the massage
The clinic or place to carry out the massage must be dry and well lit, in addition to changing the air in the room 2-3 times an hour. It is best to allocate a massage room of about 18 square meters, and it must contain:
- A special massage bed coated with artificial leather, and it is better that it be movable in three dimensions and equipped with a fireplace.
- Imitation leather-coated round cylinders, 0.6 m in length and 0.25 m in diameter.
Additionally, you should consider the following:
- It should be a massage table coated with artificial leather.
- A wardrobe must be provided for towels, sheets, soap, massage devices, and all the tools needed for a massage.
- There should be a small first aid pharmacy that contains cotton, bandages, alcohol iodine, medical plasters, sterile ointments, ammonia solution, and pressure dressings.
- A washbasin with cold and hot faucets is required.
When to avoid body massages?
In general, massage is considered relatively safe, but if the person suffers from any health conditions that may put him at risk because of the massage, it is best to speak with the doctor first. It is worth noting that it should not be used by people with the following conditions:
- People with chronic heart disease .
- People with cancer , especially those types of cancer that can spread to other tissues.
- People with high blood pressure .
- Cases of kidney failure .
- People with clots .
- Of people with osteoporosis or the incidence of B fractures .
- Infectious diseases.
- In cases of skin diseases, where the areas affected by eczema should not be massaged or open skin wounds.
- After surgeries .
- Cases of phlebitis .
- People with hernias .
- People with psychosis .
- Cases of blood clotting disorders.
In the end, the evidence in support of massage therapy is limited as scientists are not sure of the changes that occur in the body during massage in terms of its effect on overall health. Massage therapy has few risks if applied properly and should be provided by a massage therapist trained in appropriate medical massage.